Jul 10, 2013

Cooking with London: S'mores Cookies


Nothing says summer to me like S'mores. I'd even bought the makings for the original delight when we were in Fort Bragg to make Saturday night before we headed home early. With S'mores on the mind I knew I wanted to make some form of the dessert for our 4th of July party. I'd tried this recipe from Martha Stewart when it originally came out in the Every Day Food magazine years ago but hadn't been a huge fan - I didn't like the actual cookie part. I'd always intended to make them again, but using Nestle's Chocolate Chip cookie dough recipe, minus the chocolate chips, at the base instead. 

Always read the directions first and gather all ingredients
Mixing all dry ingredients together first

Well, with my desire to make a s'mores dessert for the party and my desire to start involving London in the kitchen more, I combined the two just before nap time on the 4th of July. 


Mixing sugars and butter
Cracking Eggs
London had a blast. While I gathered ingredients and did all the measuring, she did the pouring and hand mixing. When it came to the machine hand mixer, I let London control the speed and feel like she was holding it (I supported it from the back base) and I turned the bowl as necessary to mix everything together. London then put all the chocolate bars and marshmallows on top at the appropriate times. 



Time to add Chocolate! It was hard to keep her from eating it!
London had a blast making the cookies and could hardly wait to have one at the party that night. And the cookies sure didn't last - every one loved them! I love it when my recipe changes and experiments work out!
London could hardly wait for the cookies to bake to add the marshmallows
Watching the marshmallows melt

Here is the combined recipes with my notes: 




London’s S’mores (Cookies that is)


Ingredients:

2 ¼ cups All –purpose Flour

1 Teaspoon Baking Soda

1 Teaspoon Salt

1 Cup (2 sticks) butter, softened

¾ cup granulated sugar

¾ cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 large eggs

1 Bag Hershey’s Assorted Miniatures – Use only the Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Minis – enjoy the rest outside of these cookies

12-15 Large Marshmallows



Directions: 
Step 1: Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.

Step 2: Beat butter, sugars and vanilla in a large mixing bowl until creamy.

Step 3: Add eggs into butter/sugar mixture, one at a time, beating well until fully blended

Step 4: Gradually beat in flour mixture.

Step 5: Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Step 6: Drop dough, about a tablespoon size each, 1 inch apart onto baking sheets. Place on top of each dough drop 1 Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Mini.

Step 7: Bake 8-10 minutes (9 minutes was perfect for our over) or until Golden Brown. Note: I prefer soft cookies, so I remove when the center dough is still somewhat gooey and let sit on tray outside oven for 2 minutes. This is perfect when considering the next step

Step 8: Remove cookies and then start broiler. Top each cookie with a marshmallow.

Step 9: Broil cookies with marshmallows on top for 1 to 1 ½ minutes (we went with 1 1/2), or until marshmallows are lightly browned.


This recipe is adapted from both Nestle Toll House’s Original Chocolate Chip cookies and Martha Stewart’s Recipe for S’mores Cookies. 

Linked up to Just Us Four,
& Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom,
& Not JUST a Housewife

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure my kids would love these! They look so good! Glad you shared at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete