This weekend did not go as I had planned, but in a very good way. Originally, I was supposed to clean the house. Lately I’ve either been too tired or too busy to maintain its cleanliness that things have been slipping.
But Friday I read about the Elk Grove Harvest Festival and it’s Giant Pumpkin Weigh-Off in the SacBee. This piqued my interest and so I thought it would be fun to check it out Saturday morning before going home and dealing with the house. Saturday morning I talked to Cameron about it. We then called Matt & Lynde to see if they wanted to go as well. They were on board, although Lynde had to go to work first. So Matt, Cameron and I headed to Elk Grove Park and wandered around, taking in the weigh-off while waiting for Lynde. I created a slide show of the pics I took. You should see them to the left. Here's the winning pumpkin and it's weight.
But Friday I read about the Elk Grove Harvest Festival and it’s Giant Pumpkin Weigh-Off in the SacBee. This piqued my interest and so I thought it would be fun to check it out Saturday morning before going home and dealing with the house. Saturday morning I talked to Cameron about it. We then called Matt & Lynde to see if they wanted to go as well. They were on board, although Lynde had to go to work first. So Matt, Cameron and I headed to Elk Grove Park and wandered around, taking in the weigh-off while waiting for Lynde. I created a slide show of the pics I took. You should see them to the left. Here's the winning pumpkin and it's weight.
We learened that the Giant Pumpkin seeds can cost anywhere from $350 to $1000 each and while we thought there would be tons of them in each pumpkin, there usually are only about 15-20 seeds. There is definitely some money to be made if you master the art of growing giant pumpkins, especially if you have the largest one year. All these Giant Pumpkins were set to be carved and floated along the park river the next day for the Giant Pumpkin Regatta. I would have loved to see this, but I was just too tired after the Saturday we had.
After the festival we were all hungry so we decided to have lunch at the Elk Grove Brewery. We had some delicious chili-cheese-garlic fries, huge beer-battered onion rings and sandwiches or burgers as well as sampled the Diamondback Wheat beer. Everything was great and we will definitely be going back – though not too often as it wasn’t the healthiest meal we’ve had lately.
Before we knew it, it was 4:30 and we were tired. Plain and simple, Cameron and I headed home and crashed. After our long catnap, Cameron did some schoolwork before we headed to Matt & Lynde’s for movie night. We watched I AM LEGEND and Alien Versus Predator 2. We didn’t get home until late and yet Cameron still came home and did more homework.
As for me, no housework got done on Sunday either. Cameron, as usual, was locked up in his office working on schoolwork, minus the door knob. He plans to take the door knob from the spare room and put it on his office door since we do need a way to protect Spaz from the cats at night. So far, all is ok, as the cats are spending the nights curled up on our bed with us rather than wandering the house getting into mischief. Jake is aware that he can simply push the door open, but he only does it when Cameron is in there and he wants attention.
Love Always,
Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.