Nov 11, 2015

Celebrating Fall


While the Christmas decor is going up in the stores, and Christmas music is already playing on some stations, I refuse to give in. And I applaud Nordstrom for not decorating until Black Friday and REI for paying their employees to spend Black Friday outside.

To me, now is the time to celebrate Fall, Harvest and Thanksgiving. The Fall Decor is still very much up in our house and I am determined to pass my love of Fall on down to the girls. 

That's why I have planned Fall activities each weekend leading up Thanksgiving. Usually, one craft and one baking activity, because Fall, to me is a yummy baking season. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas, but I have a strict rule that I only listen to the music after Thanksgiving dinner is over. I can't say that about movies - Hallmark is running Christmas movies not stop and I may or may not have recorded several over the weekend and watched a few with the girls. What can I say, I'm a sucker for sappy love stories and even worse when Christmas magic is included in the plot. 

And I'm thinking forward to Christmas and prepping where I need to. Thanksgiving isn't that far away, which means Christmas is right behind it. Plus, watching the movies has me moving on my next stocking. 

Any how, this past weekend, the girls and I thought up all the reasons we have to be Thankful this time of year. I got the idea from Pinterest, of course. And by girls, I mean London, as Sydney isn't quite there intellectually. 

London came up with a great list of 11 items long, that included Friends, Family, Food and Pets. From there, we traced hands and London and I cut them out, then London labeled them. Sydney worked on her scissor skills on the scrap paper and both colored too. I cut out the tree trunk and let them go at it in taping the hands up. Their enthusiasm was uncontainable. 

Before I knew it, they were taping up the scraps of paper, anything they could get their hands on. They were so proud of it and couldn't wait to show Daddy when he got home from hunting Sunday evening. While I know the tree doesn't resemble the nice ones you see on Pinterest, I love it that much better because the girls had so much fun with it. 

And on Sunday, we started the process of making pumpkin thumbprint cookies. Unfortunately, I started it so late and and didn't read the directions ahead of time, so the dough and filling are still chilling in the fridge. But we'll get the cookies made soon, I'm sure. 

1 comment: