Jul 31, 2015

More Fig Tree Love



I didn't think it was possible, but I am more in love with our Fig tree than ever before. Why you ask? Because I've actually been able to harvest some figs and have been playing around with fig compote or fig jam recipes. The thought of the scent the jam fills our house with brings a smile to my face. Even Cameron remarked on it during my first attempt. The best way to describe the scent is to simply say "Christmas". If you think about Christmas and the scents associated with it, that was how our house smelled the very first time. 


The ability to harvest actual figs from the tree happened on a whim. We knew the tree had fruit on it, but upon last check, it was all green. Sunday, Cameron was heading out on an errand and surprised a flock of birds out of the tree. That's when he noticed some figs has turned. We've read the key to making the most of the figs on a fig tree is to get to them early - otherwise the birds will decimate the crop before you have a chance. Cameron came in before leaving on the errand to tell me the time was right. 


Luckily, I was already processing the most recent harvest from our summer garden any how, so adding figs to the mix wasn't an issue. I was able to get about 2 lbs of Figs off that first harvest. I am now going out every other day or daily getting the just ripened fruit off as quick as I can. The birds still have plenty, as the tree is almost as tall as the house, which means I can't reach the upper branches. Maybe if I had a ladder but that's more fruit than I can process any how. 


Now I'm having fun testing jam/compote recipes. I may even try drying some of the figs and then using in a Fig Bar recipe I found on MarthaStewart.com!

I've already told Cameron he either needs to find a way to keep my fig tree or plant me a new one now so when the day does arrives that I have to say goodbye to this one, I have another one to love!

No comments:

Post a Comment