Mar 19, 2015

The Year of the Tree

2015 will go down in our family history as the year of the tree. And yes, I know it's only March. But considering we have bought and planted 21 trees this year alone, I don't think even our eventual chickens can top that! Yes, 21 trees. At the end of January, I blogged about the first 9 trees, including the pomegranate we planted in the front yard as part of our front yard transformation.

And we thought we were done for the year after that. The bare-root tree stocks in stores were dwindling down. Then, Tractor Supply ran a special on potted trees. We ended up purchasing 7 trees there. Around the same time, Walmart had a good price on standard-size citrus trees, where we bought 4. The last tree was another citrus tree, a grapefruit, that Cameron found up at the Costco in Chico. 

These trees are part of the reason we have been delayed on building the chicken coop - we've been too busy planting trees! 

This has resulted in another project for Cameron - creating an irrigating system for all of these trees. Last summer we were carrying 5-gallon buckets of water to the 9 or 10 trees we planted last year. Cameron was the main person in charge of watering these trees in the heat of the summer, but he travels for work which meant I spent a few evenings doing the job by myself. 

Just the thought of having to carry these heavy buckets of water 3x the number I did last year in 105-degree heat, even at 7 PM, after a long day at work freaked me out. But, I think I can handle turning on a hose connected to a sprinkler system. Cameron just has to remember to remind me to do it when he's not around. I literally have to write it down on my to-do list for each night or I will forget. 

So here is the current layout with all the names of the tree types we now have: 



I can't wait until we start getting all the delicious fruit from these trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment