Nov 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!



Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you are celebrating with your friends and family and eating a ton of yummy food.

I'm starting the day off revving up my metabolism by participating in The Run to Feed the Hungry. It's the largest Thanksgiving day run in the country and benefits the Sacramento Food Bank and Family Services. I'll be running in the 10K as the 5K is just too crowded. Even the 10K is a bit crowded the first couple of miles. I enjoy starting my Thanksgiving off like this. This will be my 3rd year participating. And it's gearing up to be a cold one!

After that, Cameron, the girls and I are staying home. I'm sure football will be on and at some point we'll watch the Macy's Day parade that I plan to record. And we're making a full spread for dinner, even though it's just the 4 of us. It definitely will be a little strange not to be with any family and friends and we will miss them, but we decided we really needed a year where we weren't running from one thing to the next for at least one holiday.

We started the countdown to Thanksgiving Day Dinner on Monday night. After picking up my packet for the Run, the girls and I made cornbread for each of their class feasts. Luckily both girls had theirs on Tuesday. And I signed up for cornbread knowing that they could help me out in making it. They each got to make their own, versus sharing the process and taking turns. Sydney did let me crack the eggs. She's not a fan of that task. 

Tuesday night was pie crust making, cranberry sauce and more cornbread. 

And last night I made the pumpkin pie and mashed sweet potatoes, while prepping the Brussels spouts, green bean casserole and stuffing. All that's left for today is the bird, mashed potatoes and gravy, creamed spinach and the whipped cream for the pie. We'll be living off of leftovers for days, especially Turkey, since we got a 20 lb bird. But I love me some cranberry sauce turkey sandwiches and we'll likely make Turkey and dumplings and then adding to whatever is left of that to make some Turkey pot pies. We've gotten very good at using every last bit of Turkey to our benefit. We may even make Turkey broth.

Now it's time to get ready for Christmas! But the only place you will see me on Black Friday is somewhere to get a Christmas tree and then The Painted Cork that evening to enjoy good friends, wine and food while painting a Christmas scene.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great. We usually key thanksgiving low key and at home.. this year we spent it with some relatives and had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete