Sep 10, 2014

The Fig Tree


For the most part, our land is a bit barren when it comes to trees, especially established trees. When we purchased, there were 6 trees - albeit 2 being trees that have fallen over and grown over themselves.Two other trees, redbuds, that we absolutely love, have to come out as they were planted on top of our septic tank! And the two others need to come out because they are too close to the house and eventually can be hazards to our roof - then again I don't like the variety those two are so I could care less. But it's the two fallen over trees that have grown over themselves that I love. One of those is a fig tree. 


For one, it's such a nice contrast in the summer with all its green versus all the brown around us. And it actually produces fruit. Ok, so I have only enjoyed one actual fig, mainly because I have not successfully gotten to the fruit when it is ripe before the birds have, but I will one of these days. We also have discovered that it fruits twice a year - once at the beginning of summer and once at the end. Now that I know when it fruits I can be more on top of it. I've even been pinning Fig recipes in anticipation. 


Cameron eventually wants to remove this tree. And I get his reasons, but it will be hard for me at the same time. It's hard for me to describe - some of it has to do with it being original to the property. But it's also so organic in the way  that it has grown, fallen and come back again. I'll have to show you some pictures of it when the leaves aren't on it so you can see the trunk and limbs. It also creates a really cool cave with a canopy of leaves on one side. We'll see how long I can hold on to it.

2 comments:

  1. oh the thought of a fig tree is amazing.. but if it's causing more problems that not that I guess we gotta do what we gotta do.. could it not be trimmed and moved to a more desirable location

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fairly large tree, so moving it is out of the question. It's likely going to be years before it interferes with other plans so I take solace knowing it will be around a little bit longer.

      Delete