Apr 18, 2013

A Weekend Away in Napa - Part 2

Saturday was the big day for Troy and Katie. But the ceremony wasn't until 2 PM. With our hotel less than a mile from the church we knew we would have some time on our hands. And we figured we wouldn't sleep in too late, given we would get a full night of UNINTERRUPTED sleep for the first time in FOREVER! Which was true. I woke up at 6:15 AM. I managed to get back to sleep but was up by 8 AM for good. 

Our hotel had a gym, two doors down from our room, so instead of going out in search of a running trail, I hopped on the treadmill and  put in 6 miles. So far, 6 miles is the longest I have run since having Sydney. The hope is to get 7 in this coming weekend! This did take up a bulk of the morning, but I rinsed the sweat off in the shower and we headed out for lunch and a quick tasting. Or so we thought. 

Cameron found us a great little deli, called Genova's Delicatessen and it did not disappoint. Cameron and I failed to have a bad meal throughout our entire trip, which made it extra special. We both had delicious sandwiches - mine with roasted turkey and Cameron with ham and pastrami. 

From there we headed to Domain Carneros where we hoped to have a tasting. Unfortunately, we couldn't find a parking spot - two limos were taking up 2 and 3 spots each, which didn't help the small parking lot. We decided to head back to the hotel and take our time getting ready. Good thing we did too. 

At 1:30 PM, our chosen time to leave, we discovered Cameron had failed to bring his dress shoes. We rushed off to Target, just down the highway, only to discover the store was so small it didn't carry shoes! What Target doesn't carry shoes? Luckily, another block away was a Payless shoe store. We were in and out of the store in less than 5 minutes - I swear it took the guy longer to ring us up that it did to find the shoes. We made it to the church with 5 minutes to spare. Still, we felt rushed as we both hate to be late. 

It was a beautiful Catholic ceremony, that for us, was luckily on the shorter side. Katie looked amazing in her wedding dress and you could tell she and Troy were quite excited to begin their life together. 

After the ceremony we caught up with some more fraternity brothers before heading off to the reception, which was held at Napa Valley Country Club. There was a cocktail reception down in The Grove before we headed inside for dinner and dancing. We were seated with the rest of the brothers and their wives in attendance, which I think made us the largest table, with 12 of us. And we were seated with a private door to the bar! That could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you see it. I think it was a good thing. We spent the rest of the evening catching up with every one and dancing the night away. I even ran into a high school classmate of mine who I hadn't seen since graduation and spent a good hour just catching up with her. 

Getting up Sunday was a little more difficult. I woke up at 6:45 AM the first time and several times after that until it was really time to get up. We could have slept more, but we had reservations at 10 AM for a tasting at Duckhorn, one of our favorite wines. We'd never been to the winery before for a tasting and it so happens that Katie works for the company and was gracious enough to set up the tasting for us. It did not disappoint and we walked away we a few bottles. 

From there we headed up to Biggs to pick up the girls, who had stayed with Vicki and Cameron's sister, Carrie. Which meant we were going to drive through Williams and past Granzella's. We hung on and had a late lunch there - more delicious deli sandwiches. We really need to find a good deli around here. 

The girls had a great weekend away, too, it seemed. London loves playing with her cousin Connor and Sydney is pretty go-with-the-flow these days. I couldn't help but hold her until the moment we left for home and I had to put her in the carseat. I did miss my little snuggle bug. And I missed London too. Always fun to pick her up and hear her exclaim "Mommy you back!" "Daddy you back!" We had to wake her up from her nap, so she was a little sleepy and crabby at first but she perked up and talked the whole way home. 

Sorry for the lack of pictures - we meant to take them but in the end we just felt like enjoying our weekend and a little alone time more than worrying about pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment