Dec 6, 2012

Introducing Sydney Lee Cenedella

Sydney Lee Cenedella - 10/24/12

You know that saying "The days are long but the years are short"? It is so true! As hard as it is for me to believe, Sydney has been with us for 6 weeks already! We took her to the doctor for her first shots and second round of growth stats this morning, but I'll save that info for another post (which will hopefully be soon!). For now, let me get you caught up on her arrival and first month. 

The first two weeks were a bit of a blur for me, between the hospital stay and the drugs, and it took us some time to establish ourselves as a family of four. Having a second child is a big adjustment as it is, and we have also been adjusting to Cameron's new job and the travel schedule it brought in the beginning. Did I mention we all came down with a cold, even poor Sydney got the sniffles. 

Sydney arrived at 8:11 AM on October 24, 2012 as planned. I did, however, go into labor while we were waiting for the c-section. When they hooked me up to the monitors at 5:30 AM that morning, the nurse was quite shocked at all the contractions. I wasn't feeling any of them at the time. But around 7 AM I did start to feel them. Luckily, they never got painful before I walked back to the OR and received the spinal block. I do have to say that was a bit more uncomfortable than I expected until the drugs took affect.

Sydney weighed in at 7 lbs, 15 oz and measured at 20 1/2 inches. She scored two 9s on her APGAR tests. As soon as I heard Sydney cry I was transported back to the day London was born. And she looked just like London, at least to me, though more like London after the swelling of the trauma of her birth had gone down.

The whole experience for me was much better than last time as hoped. The anesthesiologist was great as were my surgery nurses. My nurse did a good job of distracting me during the spinal block by getting me to talk and letting me squeeze her hand. The anesthesiologist did a great job of explaining every thing to me before and while he was putting the spinal block in and was great at explaining to me what was going on throughout the delivery. He even said that I would be feeling people touching me, and he assured me I would not feel the cutting of me - he was correct. And I didn't need the Demerol shot afterward as I didn't shake. I was, however, sick to my stomach and would be for most of the day. I also itched like crazy. All side effects of the medicine to numb me. When I mentioned the itching to the anesthesiologist when he came to check on me later that morning, he quickly prescribed me Benadryl to help alleviate the discomfort. The rest of the day was pretty much a blur. I remember my parents coming with London for a short visit. I was still very sick to my stomach but did my best to act as normal as possible for London. And she took seeing me hooked up to IVs and such in stride. I also remember Vicki and Joe visiting but I don't actually remember seeing them. I was so sick at that time I had to be laying down with my head to the side and my eyes closed to keep from loosing anything that may have been in my stomach at the time. Poor Cameron had to keep his lunch outside the room as the smell of it didn't add to my comfort.

We were saddened to learn that the nursery was no longer available to us. Apparently, Mercy felt they were sending too many first time moms home without having spent a full night with their new baby. Problem with that is they are then sending first time moms and dads home sleep deprived. I can't say I got more than two hour stretches of sleep in and was quite ready to go home by Saturday morning.

Sydney is settling in, and London has accepted her amazingly well. London even acknowledges that I am Sydney's mom just like I am her mom. We're currently getting up about 2-3 times a night with Sydney, with a few bad nights thrown in there. And we have had some issues with the formula, but we think we have it all figured out by now.

Sydney looks a lot like London, especially with the expressions she makes. But Sydney is also very different. For one, she has a lot more hair than London had. And London's eyes were grayer and lighter - Sydney's are quite blue still. We'll see if that color sticks - London's really didn't turn brown until she was almost 1. Sydney also has gotten her chubby little cheeks sooner than London and is continuing that trend in the weight department, despite spitting up a lot more than London. Some of that can be attributed to the stuffy nose she had for a while.

Stay tuned for her 6 week stats.And make sure to click on her album to the right to see all her pictures so far.

~ Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment