Aug 15, 2012

Silhouette Art Tutorial

 
I was able to accomplish one project for London’s room completely this last weekend. Well almost completely, the frames in which the images are in I want to paint, but that can wait until I get the paint. That won’t happen until I have a dresser to paint.
 
Anyway, found a couple of ideas for cheap art solutions on Pinterest, combining two.
 
The first pin  has you search on Google for a silhouette and showed Disney Character silhouettes.
 
The second pin has you use scrapbook paper to make the silhouettes.
 
Both ideas are then mounted and framed.
 
London is in love with Minnie Mouse these days, so I decided to make a Minnie silhouette. I wanted to do more than one and love odd numbers, so I also decided to do one of Mickey and one of Sleeping Beauty’s Castle from Disneyland. All will be grouped together on a wall in her new room.
 
I’ll be doing Daisy, Donald and Cinderella’s Castle from the Magic Kingdom for Sydney’s room in September.

Supplies needed:
  • Frames
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Cardstock
  • Plain paper
  • Exacto knife
  • Scissors
  • Glue Stick
 
Step 1: Find the desired silhouette. I couldn’t find a silhouette for Minnie or the castle so I found pictures and in Paint, created a black outline of the image and actually hallowed out the insides to just be white, that way I wouldn’t be wasting ink, as these were just a step in my stenciling process.
 
 
Step 2: I printed each silhouette out on white 8 ½ x 11 paper.
Step 3: Because I had to enlarge the mage to fit one sheet of paper, before I cut it out, I went around the edge with a sharpie to make a solid line, versus trying to follow the pixilated one that resulted from the print.
Before outlining
 
After outlining
Step 4: Cut out the image.
 
 
Step 5: Because plain paper is flimsy, I then traced the image onto a sheet of cardstock and cut that image out – this way I can keep the cardstock image for future use, if I ever need to recreate these.
 
 
Step 6: Next I traced around the stencil onto the back of my selected scrapbook paper. I made sure the stencil was facing the opposite direction of how I wanted the final product to look. This was particularly important with the castle image.
 
 
Step 7: Cut again. I used a mixture of scissors and an Exacto knife to get the job done.
 
 
Step 8: My background scrapbook paper was too big for the frames I picked up at Ikea, so I used my paper guillotine to get it down to size.
 
Step 9: And finally I glued the silhouette to the background paper, framed it and done!
 
 
What do you think?

 ~ Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment