Aug 16, 2012

Pins I’ve Tried: Cleaning an Iron Faceplate

Before
After




















Over the weekend, I needed to iron the fabric that is going on London’s pelmet box. But from the last round of curtain-making, the iron faceplate wasn’t looking so good and I didn’t want to risk ruining the fabric by using the iron on it without cleaning it. Only problem is I had no idea how to clean it. What did I do? I turned to Pinterest! I found two tutorials that looked like they might work.


The first one had three suggestions: 

  1. Mix baking soda and water into a paste, apply it to the faceplate with a clean cloth and scrub.
  2. Apply some vinegar to a clean cloth and scrub
  3. Use steel wool to clean
Of course, when I looked at the second one, it says to never use a metal scouring pad on the faceplate of an iron. Since I didn't have one lying around any ways, it would have been a last resort to try, but this is also why I like to look at a couple of pins before following one. The second pins suggestions included:
  1. Apply salt to a damp cloth and scrub
  2. Soapy water and a nylon mesh pad
  3. Toothpaste and a soft cloth
  4. White vinegar and a soft cloth, again
  5. Warm vinegar and salt with a soft cloth
  6. The baking soda and water paste, again
After looking at my iron compared to the iron in the first pin, I decided I’d try the vinegar and soft cloth with some elbow grease and follow it up with the baking soda paste if necessary. Not necessary. The vinegar worked wonders! I was able to iron the pelmet fabric Sunday night and I was also able to safely iron some of Cameron’s work shirts Monday night!
~ Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment