Apr 4, 2012

Swim Lessons


We started swim lessons on Saturday. And what a day to start them on. When we woke up that morning it was sunny. Cameron’s hunting buddy, Jason, had come down from Reno early that morning to pick out his puppy before we had to go. While they were outside with the pups, making the careful selection, the wind picked up. And as we packed up to head out for the big lesson, the sky was completely gray and the wind even worse.


We had to wait a few minutes before it was our turn to get into the pool, waiting for the parent/tot class before us to end. This was no small task with London. As soon as she saw the water she was itching to get near it. Good thing we’re teaching her to swim.


Finally it was our turn. I got in the water with her first. It was a bit colder than I expected. Cameron took video and pictures while I tried to show London how to blow bubbles in the water. She got water up her nose once or twice and resisted making bubbles for the most part. She just wanted to splash around. 15 minutes in (the class is only 30 minutes long) Cameron and I switched.

Showing London how to blow bubbles

That’s when I noticed it was pouring outside. The palm trees were being bent sideways. Hard to believe we were taking swim lessons. And thankful that our swim lessons were indoors. By the end of the class, London’s lips were purple. She’d spent her time with Cameron in the water kicking while on her tummy and kicking while on her back. She didn’t care for kicking on her back much. She just wanted to play with the pool toys. I was sure she’d want to get out when class was over. Nope. Purple lips and cold water won’t stop her, I guess. She loved it. And tried to jump back in after I had towel-dried her off.


London is probably the second oldest kid in her class. I’d say most are between 6 months to a year old and the class is almost completely full. I go back and forth on whether we should have done this last summer or not. Would she have been more open to bubble blowing? Understood it better? Be more natural? Or would it have been a waste of time and money? Guess we’ll never know. I’m also curious to see what the next 5 weeks have in store for us.

London was all about getting this ball - she forgot to kick most of the time!

Cameron put London in my sweatshirt to warm her up while they waited for me to change after the class. So cute!
~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment