Dec 30, 2011

Pie Baking


When I’d originally been planning on attending Thanksgiving at Matt & Lynde’s I offered to bring a pie or two. This way I’d still carry on my tradition of being the pie baker for Thanksgiving Day – a role I take whole heartedly.

Learning that this family is not found of pumpkin, I offered to bring a peach pie. And even though I bailed on them at the last minute, I was still going to see Lynde when she watched London and therefore, kept my promise to make a peach pie. Of course, I made the pie crust from scratch. And I made extra pie crust dough. Which meant I had some pie crust I needed to use within two weeks.

Knowing Cameron loves pumpkin pie and I’d been too stuffed on Thanksgiving to have a slice of Bonnie’s, one night, a few nights after my two week window, I set out to make a couple of pumpkin pies with said leftover pie crust.

London was a bit fussy that evening and very needy. She’d been recovering from a severe double ear that we would learn the next day had not cleared after a 5-day course of antibiotics. Anyway, I decided the best course of action to ease the whining was to distract her. This involved dragging a kitchen chair up to the island counter and letting her “help”.

Except that when I pulled out and surveyed the pie crust, I deemed it unuseable – it wasn’t as much yellow as it was gray. Gross. With Cameron expecting pumpkin pie when he got home from another trip Reno that evening (I hope to have more on that trip soon), I had no alternative but to mix up a batch of new pie crust dough. Luckily, Martha’s Pate Brisee recipe is super easy and I had all the ingredients on hand.

London did a great job “helping” by pulsing the food processor with me. After the required hour in the fridge, London then “helped” me roll out the pie crust. She also ate her fair share. I swap the required 1 teaspoon of sugar with 1 tablespoon so the extra sweetness is enticing – I ate my fair share as well. After I had the two crusts in my new ceramic, red, Target pie bowls, there was a bit of extra dough which I let London continue to roll. And what a perfect photo opportunity that made.

Wouldn’t know she had two ear infections from these pictures, huh? The distraction worked great. By the time we were done, it was time for her evening bath and then off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment