Feb 20, 2009

Tucson: Day 3

Saturday I got to spend some quality time with just my parents. The three of us headed off for the Desert Museum. This was the only place I saw any of the little critters I had heard Arizona is home to. I’m sure I will see them some time during a summer visit to my folks.

We took the long way to the museum, driving around Tucson to give me an idea of what was around. We stopped at the top of a mountain (can’t remember the name). At the top of it was this giant A. Back in the early 1900s, students of U of A created this with white washed rocks. Today, when U of A’s rival comes to play they paint the Giant A.




At the Desert Museum, I saw scorpions, a hela monster (though he was hiding so I only saw his tail), a fox, a mountain lion, a couple a wolves, a dear, plenty of cacti and one havelina. The havelina looks likes pig, or wart hog, but is as closely related to a pig as we are to chimpanzees (which isn’t very close). I also learned how to spot the scorpion that likes to frequent the indoors – buy a black light. They glow! Which is cool, but I still don’t want to see one indoors, ever. Here are some pics.

The Organ Pipe Cactus


The Totem Pole Cactus

Mountain Lion


Tootles,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment